Monday, September 12, 2011

Leftover Mashed Potato Quesadilla

My mother is the master at making something incredible from random ingredients in the fridge. One time she made quesadilla's from leftover mashed Japanese sweet potatoes and goat cheese.  I had some leftover mashed garlic/spinach potatoes that I made last Saturday and wanted to do something with them, so I worked with what was in my fridge. You can use any cheese because people always have some sort of cheese in their fridge right?

-1 red pepper
-1 yellow onion
-some white stilton cheese w/ apricots from a shower I did a few days ago (can get it at Trader Joe's, run to your nearest one and get some it's so good!)
-whole wheat flatbread (also from TJ's, backup because the tortilla's ended up being moldy)

I sliced the onion and red pepper julienne style and caramelized them during the kids naps and set aside until later because I wanted to take them out to play before dinner. To caramelize you can do it a few ways, in the oven on low heat for a few hours occasionally stirring, or saute them for about 1 hr on low heat occasionally stirring, or a quicker delicious method I recently discovered, saute in a bit of olive oil, add some kosher salt (to bring out the liquids) for about 5 mins on medium heat until they're wilted, them cover for 20 mins and turn heat to low and stir about twice.

The rest is self explanatory, just layer the mashed potatoes, cheese and onions. I suggest using a panini grill if you have one, these are often tricky to flip in a pan (well you should see my kitchen after I do it, it needs a full wipe down.) Sorry no photo, they went straight to our mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment