Monday, September 5, 2011

Welcome to the Mayfield Mormon Cookbook! TJ's salad recipe too!

I started this blog with the desire to help other small families on tight budgets share dinner menus that seem to work for your family. Please share any tips, advice, secrets, grocery stores, etc. that have benefited your weekly cooking.

The name is from the original city name of Palo Alto, once called Mayfield, CA. Nancy Marsh is the one who told me about it. She seems to know everything about this place!

Bon Appetit!

Here is my favorite salad. This recipe is from my sister Lindsey. It looks and tastes amazing!



















TJ's salad-all ingredients at Trader Joes
Equal parts of:
medium chopped arugula
pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
tiny star pasta, cooked and cooled, or any very tiny pasta
quattro formaggio cheese, shredded in bag
fresh or canned corn (second best to fresh is TJ's frozen roasted corn)
craisens
bruschetta -the refrigerated one

I put them in lines on a platter and toss together just before serving.
If you really want to add a dressing it calls for TJ's Parmesan ranch, but I prefer the bruschetta itself for dressing. Also, if I run out of some of the ingredients I just use whatever I have. Lately I been having the chopped arugula with pepitas and bruschetta and it's wonderful.

A great side is Trader Joe's (par-baked) bread loafs.

Enjoy!
Whitney Bills

Please post any or all of your favorite recipes!


1 comment:

  1. Um, yes, this is simply the best salad ever. Great idea, we'll look forward to contributing and enjoying everyone's ideas! Thanks for thinking of us.

    ReplyDelete