Sunday, September 11, 2011

Super Yummy Buttermilk Pancakes

Everyone has their favorite version of pancakes, and these are mine.  The recipe makes 12 to 15 silver dollar pancakes (although I usually make a half batch instead).

img_4911.jpg
Recipe: 
2 Cups Buttermilk 
1 Egg 
2 Tbs Oil 
2 Tbs Sugar
Whisk the above together (in a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients:)
1 1/4 Cups Flour (you can substitute wheat flour for some of the white if you prefer)
2 tsp baking powder 
1 tbs salt 
1 tbs baking soda 
I then mix the dry ingredients well before I stir them lightly into the wet mixture. The batter will be lumpy.
img_4904.jpg
Meanwhile, I have been preheating my griddle to just below medium this whole time. I melt salted butter over the whole surface (which I do between batches as well to get the perfect slightly crispy surface) and use about a half of the quarter cup measure to put 8 lumps of batter on the cooking surface.
img_4905.jpg
Letting them cook a few minutes - they will be ready to turn when you see lots of bubbles coming to the surface.
img_4906.jpg
I like mine lightly colored on the outside but cooked through - if you prefer darker, you can either cook them longer or up the cooking temperature slightly.
img_4907.jpg
The perfect way to serve them is, of course, with fresh fruit - but lacking that (as I sadly was this morning) I recommend butter and your favorite jam! (This is raspberry sour cherry jam that we made in Utah on our last visit).
img_4909.jpg
Final notes -- I know some people wait until the pancakes are all done to eat them - but I always eat while I am cooking the next batch - they are so much better really fresh!
Also - if you make the half batch you still use 1 whole egg - it works just fine.


Also, I pack up any leftover pancakes take them with us for Audrey to snack on or eat at lunch - she loves them!
I hope your family enjoys them as much as we do!
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment